Recipe by FarahC
This recipe is from my mother,its adapted from Kellogg's cornflake Carrots Au Gratin recipe.
- 5 tablespoons margarine or 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups kellogg's corn flakes (crushed to 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups sliced carrots, cooked and drained (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiled skinned red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3-quart saucepan, melt margarine and olive oil over low heat. Remove 2 1/2 tablespoons and mix with KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal.
- Set aside for topping. Add onion and garlic to remaining margarine in pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened but not browned.
- Stir flour, salt and pepper into onion mixture. Add milk and half-and-half, stirring until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and continue cooking, stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes and parsley flakes.
- Spread mixture into 10 x 6 x 2-inch (1 1/2-qt.) glass baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle cereal mixture evenly over top.
- Bake at 350° F about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from oven. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot.