This recipe is from my mother,its adapted from Kellogg's cornflake Carrots Au Gratin recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons margarine or 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups kellogg's corn flakes (crushed to 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 2/3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups sliced carrots, cooked and drained (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 1/2 cups boiled skinned red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1In 3-quart saucepan, melt margarine and olive oil over low heat. Remove 2 1/2 tablespoons and mix with KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal.
- 2Set aside for topping. Add onion and garlic to remaining margarine in pan.
- 3Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened but not browned.
- 4Stir flour, salt and pepper into onion mixture. Add milk and half-and-half, stirring until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- 5Add cheese and continue cooking, stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- 6Stir in carrots, potatoes and parsley flakes.
- 7Spread mixture into 10 x 6 x 2-inch (1 1/2-qt.) glass baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 8Sprinkle cereal mixture evenly over top.
- 9Bake at 350° F about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from oven. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot and Potato Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.2
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 14.5 mg
- Sodium 567.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 7.6 g