Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from my mother,its adapted from Kellogg's cornflake Carrots Au Gratin recipe.
Make and share this Carrot and Potato Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons margarine or 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups kellogg's corn flakes (crushed to 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups sliced carrots, cooked and drained (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiled skinned red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- In 3-quart saucepan, melt margarine and olive oil over low heat. Remove 2 1/2 tablespoons and mix with KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal.
- Set aside for topping. Add onion and garlic to remaining margarine in pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened but not browned.
- Stir flour, salt and pepper into onion mixture. Add milk and half-and-half, stirring until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and continue cooking, stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes and parsley flakes.
- Spread mixture into 10 x 6 x 2-inch (1 1/2-qt.) glass baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle cereal mixture evenly over top.
- Bake at 350° F about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from oven. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot.