Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can make this ahead, cover and refrigerate fo several hours before baking. Choose small to medium-size parsnips, they are sweeter and nuttier! This makes a perfect side to a turkey or pork roast dinner!
- 1 lb carrot, peeled
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Grate the peeled carrots and parsnips on a large-sided grater (or use a food processor).
- Measure out 3 cups each of grated carrots and parsnips, then place in a large bowl.
- Measure 2 tablespoons flour with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese in a small bowl, then add to the grated veggies in the bowl; toss to combine, then set aside.
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat; add in 1/4 cup flour and cook stirring/whisking for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the full-fat milk, stirring/whisking continuously until the mixture starts to bubble; remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together whipping cream, eggs, seasoned salt, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne (if using) gradually stir this mixture into the hot milk mixture; whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the grated veggies; mix well with a wooden spoon to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup (or more) Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly.