Recipe by MomLuvs6
This Tunisia omelet is spicy. This is an example of a mahkouda, which contains eggs within eggs. Country: Tunisia - ZWT9 From: Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine, By Martha Rose Shulman
- 1 lb carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- 8 large eggs, fresh
- 2 eggs, hard cooked and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Steam or cook carrots in boiling salt water until tender. About 20 minutes to get carrots tender.
- Mash with fork or using a food processor, coarsely puree. Stir in ground caraway seeds, harissa, garlic, add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl beat fresh eggs with a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in carrot mixture, hard cooked eggs and parsley.
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a 10 inch oven proof non-stick skillet. Drop a bit of egg mixture in to skillet, if it sizzles, pan is hot enough to add egg mixture. Let cook 4 to 5 minutes, until it has set on the bottom and starts setting on top of the egg mixture.
- Put in broil and broil for 3 to 4 minutes. It should be lightly brown and fluffy.
- May slide onto platter and serve or serve from skillet.