Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This a great recipe for the winter
- 55 g butter
- 2 onions, grated
- salt and pepper
- 700 g carrots, grated
- 1 large potato, grated
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2-1 2⁄3 liters boiling water
- 1 large orange, juice of
- Melt butter in large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with a little salt, add the carrots and potato, then cover, reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir the orange rind into the saucepan, then add enough boiling water to cover. Return to the boil. Cover and simmer briskly for 10 minutes. Add the orange juice.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then pour into a food processor and process until smooth puree forms. Alternatively, use hand-held electric blender to puree the soup in the saucepan. Return the soup to the saucepan, adding a little more boiling water if it is too thick. Return to the boil, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary and ladle into warmed soup bowls. Garnish with chopped parley and serve immediately.