1/2 Photos of Carrot and Lentil Soup
wonderful soup, low fat, easy and cheap. Good for heating up on those cold winter nights, or as I do cook double in advance, freeze in single portions then take to work for lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb red lentil
- 2 pints chicken stock or 2 pints vegetable stock or 2 pints water
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan set over high heat, bring lentils and stock/water to a boil.
- 2Skim off froth.
- 3Stir in chopped onion, garlic, seasonings and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered.
- 4Dice carrots and red pepper. Stir into soup.
- 5Continue simmering, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Lentils in soup will need a total of about 20 minutes to cook.
- 6Stir in red onion, coriander, lemon juice and pepper.
- 7Remove bay leaf. Liquidise if required.
- 8Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days or freeze.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.9
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 377.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 21.4 g