Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegetarian lasagna, with a bit of a difference, great way to use up extra carrots.
Make and share this Carrot and Feta Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300 ml cream
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 lasagna sheets
- 400 g feta, crumbled
- Grease ovenproof dish.
- Heat butter and oil in pan, add leeks and garlic, cook, stirring until leeks are soft.
- Add carrots, cook, covered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until carrots are soft, cool slightly, stir in basil.
- Combine eggs, cream and pepper in bowl, mix well.
- Cover base of prepared dish with half lasagna sheets, top with half the carrot mixture, half the feta and half the egg mixture.
- Repeat layers, finishing with egg mixture.
- Bake uncovered in moderate oven about 50 minutes or until firm and browned.
I would never have thought of mixing together carrots, basil and a cream sauce in a lasagna but it works very well. The carrots even kept a little bite after being cooked, which I liked. The prep time took me a while but I had to grate the carrots by hand. I baked this in a 180C (350F) oven for about 30 minutes.
I have recently made this recipe using cooked mashed pumpkin instead of the carrot. Follow steps 1 and 2 and then add mashed pumpkin (I had about 2 1/2 cups of pumpkin) then follow recipe as above. Family now prefer this with pumpkin instead of carrot.
This is my kind of lasagne. And my 22 month old also loved it. So much that she went to the kitchen and tried to serve herself another helping! I also found that 30 minutes worked for the cooking time.