Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe originally hails from a 1977 cookbook called "Amish Cooking".
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups saltine crumbs
- 3 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise, approximately
- salt and pepper
- Mix the first five ingredients together.
- Add enough mayonnaise to achieve the consistency you desire.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Just made this today, the taste test was outstanding. Easy to make. Added a little more mayo. Hope it holds well for a couple of hours. Thanks!! Melody
Oh my goodness,I grew up with a version of this and had never seen it in print till now! The family version: 1 pkg saltines 3 boiled eggs 1 lb. carrots run through meat grinder, ad 1 pint miracle whip. a carrot lovers dream :) thanks! As a kid I'd always get stuck grinding :(
Mercy, I thought this was great and so did my husband! The flavors were great! I cut the recipe into thirds. Lovely salad, thank you! I picked you for the pick a chef game and so glad I did!