Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Since moving to Scotland I've become addicted to this stuff...it has such a unique flavour the carrot and coriander (aka cilantro or chinese parsley) compliment each other incredibly well. This version of the recipe comes "fae a wifie in Edinbura" (from a lady in Edinburgh).
- 2 lbs carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- Fry onions with pepper and garam masala.
- Boil carrots separately until soft,drain carrots and return to pot.
- Add stock and onion mixture, let it cool, then blend with a handmixer or blender.
- Add fresh chopped coriander and serve with naan bread on the side.
Very good soup, quickly and easily prepared, economical. I used Roasted Garam Masala, and unfortunately I didn't have fresh coriander, so took some coriander paste and swirled it through before serving, a marvellous blend of flavours.
As garnish, I used fried pita bread chips, a garnish borrowed from recipe#195533, absolutely wonderful, a must-try!
Thanks for a lovely dinner, Amanda!
Just made this for the first time and it's got a really good flavour - garam masala works well. I found the fresh coriander a little unappetising, although the flavour was good.
This is delicious! An interesting blend of flavors with just a little bite to it. I've never used garam masala before, but it works wonderfully in this soup. The fresh coriander just puts it over the top!