Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe came from the Holladay 7th Ward Cookbook, and was posted by Jeanne Forsberg. I found this when I had half a head of cauliflower and some carrots, and needed a vegetable side that I thought I could get kids to eat. As usual, cheese comes into play!
- 4 carrots, scraped and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cauliflower head, broken into flowerets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (I have substituted fat-free half and half successfully)
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- Cook the carrot in a small amount of boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, and place in a lightly greased 1 quart casserole.
- Cook the cauliflower in a small amount of boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Drain. Add the cauliflower to the carrots, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the broth and cream; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. (Do not get it too thick). Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese, green onions, and mustard, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Pour the sauce over the carrots and cauliflower, stirring gently to coat well. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the mixture is thoroughly heated. Remove the cover and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
I liked the idea behind this recipe, but the sauce ended up a bit too heavy and cheesy for me. I even doubled the amount of veggies and kept the sauce ingredients the same, but it was still a bit much for me- although this is probably just a personal preference. I did really like the creamy Swiss cheese sauce though, I'd just want less of it in the dish. Thanks for sharing! [Made and Reviewed for Best of 2012]
Oh, this was good! I used cauliflower and some broccoli with the carrots, subbed veg. broth for the chicken broth. I also steamed the veggies and used cheddar and pepper jack cheese. Delish with some salt and pepper. Thanks!
I scaled this back for 2 serves which was just enough to give 3 of a small/medium serve each but I think I would up the sauce factor as it barely covered the vegies and I therefore used more cheese to make sure the vegies were covered. I used hi-low milk (low fat milk) for the shipping cream and it worked well and used a sharp cheddar instead of swiss which was also good, I steamed my vegies in an electric steamer and baked as per recipe and we enjoyed. Thank you breezermom, made for Went To Market Tag Game.