Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Doesn't sound like much, but it's tasty. Modified from Classic Vegetarian Cuisine by Rosemary Moon. I steam the carrots in the microwave.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, cooked. (Retain cooking water.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashew nuts
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs (vegan if desired)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon other soy sauce
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar)
- 5 tablespoons water (from carrots if you kept it.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, process cashews until they are ground into small pieces (the size of lentils or smaller). Add the cooked carrots, and process until the carrots are in similarly sized pieces (or fall apart, if they've been cooked soft).
- Sweat onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should come together into a mass when pressed.
- Press firmly into a greased 6 1/2 " x 3 3/4" x 3-inch loaf pan and cover with foil.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake 10 min more.
- Rest 10 minutes in the pan before unmolding.
This was good! The sweetness of the carrots really comes out and is balanced by the lemon juice and soy sauce. I ended upping the lemons to two small ones, and probably would have added more if I had more. I doubled the carrots as well.