Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Nice dose of betacarotin.
Make and share this Carrot and Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup leek, thinly sliced
- 30 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon
- melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add squash, carrots and leeks; cover and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree mixture in batches in blender, return to saucepan. Add pepper and nutmeg; bring to simmer. Add bream; heat through. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with tarragon.
This is a lovely, mild but flavorful, soup. It's rich and creamy and would be ideal as a first course at Thanksgiving or Christmas or as a light meal for one who want's to snuggle by the fire and watch the snow fall outside (or a warm up after coming in doors or..................). Well you get the picture. If you need any more encouragement just look at the light calorie load! wow. Did I say that it's delicious? the flavors are a comfortable symphony that will last to the last spoon full. If possible use sweet young carrots and not the great big woody old things. This recipe will not disapoint.
Did make one change in this recipe, but only because it was being shared with 2 vegetarians ~ I substituted some homemade vegetable stock for the chicken broth, & that, I thought, worked out just fine! I particularly enjoyed the subtle flavor combo of the squash, carrot & leek! Many thanks! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]