Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Where I live we have a pot-luck and barbeque every Memorial day weekend. This casserole is always the hit.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb chuck
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice,chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup cruched Ritz cracker
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chop cabbage as you would lettuce.
- Boil in salted-water until semi-tender, drain and reserve liquid.
- In deep skillet fry ground meat with onions and garlic.
- After meat is brown and drained, add creole seasoning,salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms, rice and mushroom soup and parsley, mix well.
- Pour into greased deep baking dish.
- Top with cheese then with bread crumbs.
- Dot top with margarine or butter and bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- If it is too dry, before baking, add some juice from boiled cabbage.