Prep 55 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 4 cups wheat or 4 cups white flour, 4 to 5
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb tomatoes, crushed (or 3)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon romano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash basil
- Dough: Dissolve yeast with honey and 1/2 cup water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Put 4 cups flour in large mixing bowl; stir in oil, water and yeast mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Knead 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let dough rise 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch down and roll on floured surface to about 1/2- inch.
- Cut into rectangles about 4 x 6-inches or desired size of pizza roll.
- Sauce: Place all ingredients (except the Mozzarella cheese) in a crock-pot and simmer on low for about 2 hours.
- Let cool to room temperature. Hot sauce will make dough soggy.
- Rolls: Place a small amount of sauce on the dough rectangles, spreading it to cover the entire piece of dough.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over half of the dough.
- Roll up the dough burrito-style, sealing edges with moistened fingers.
- Place rolls on a cookie sheet. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Bake in a hot 500 degrees oven until dough is golden brown.
- Serve rolls with a side bowl of hot pizza sauce for dipping the pizza rolls inches.
- These freeze beautifully.
- Can be reheated in the microwave. Variations: You may wish to add slices of mushroom, olive, shredded beef, pepperoni slices or whatever in addition to the Mozzarella cheese inside the pizza roll.
Tried this for OAMC '08. a nice pizza dipping type breadstick. After freezing and reheating, it was a bit dry, but still tasty. Thank you for posting!