Recipe by CookbookCarrie
The dill rye, the carmelized onions, the ham...ooohhh and the cheese...heaven on a plate. I love this grilled cheese, different, but easy and oh so tasty!
Top Review by *Parsley*
Very good lunch! Loved flavors of the rye bread combined with caramelized onion, gooey cheese and warm ham. Just like the previous reviewer, I put a bit of mustard on mine, too. Yummy! I'll make this again.
- 8 slice dill rye bread
- 29.58 ml margarine or 29.58 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced very thin
- 226.79 g deli ham, sliced thin
- 226.79 g American cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter each piece of bread on one side and stick the butter side together and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on hi and spray with non-stick spray. Add sliced onion and sautee until carmelized. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean and set on medium heat.
- Place 4 pieces of the bread butter side down in your pan (I use a BIG skillet so this works, do this in stages if you have a small skillet). Add 1/4 of the onions, 1 slice of cheese, 2 slices of ham, then 1 slice of cheese and the last piece of bread, butter side out.
- Leave for about 3-4 minutes and peek, if golden brown turn over and cook until golden brown on that side.
- Slice in half and serve with a dill pickle.