Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My best friend made a dish similar to this and I thought it was just amazing! Really easy, very good. I'm pretty sure she didn't use chicken broth, you could simply use water or even vegetble broth if you wanted.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 3⁄4-1 lb muenster cheese, thinly sliced
- Melt 2 Tbls of butter in a pan, saute the onion until it's translucent, add the garlic and heat for about 1 minute, remove from heat Bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil with 1 Tbls of butter.
- Add the couscous, cover and remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the couscous to the onions and garlic, drain and add tomatoes, mix together.
- Spray a baking dish with Pam.
- Put 1/3 of the couscous mixture in the bottom of the pan, top with half the spinach and 1/3 of the cheese, repeat again using 1/3 of the couscous, the remaining spinach and 1/3 of the cheese; the third layer is just couscous and cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes.
It was very yummy! I used an 8 ounce can of diced tomatoes (since you didn't specify)....but I made a slight error in the prep. I added the vegetable broth to the sauted onions/garlic and cooked the couscous in that. I added the drained tomatoes and layered the mixture according to the recipe. Next time I will follow the recipe exactly...there WILL be a next time! Everyone enjoyed it :)
This is really good! I used shallots instead of the onion and a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes. I managed to locate 2 slices of muenster cheese only.... so, I added sliced provolone and a little grated mozzarella. It worked! My DH, who doesn't eat leftovers, declared that he would be eating the "Couscous Stuff" for lunch tomorrow!