Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This chili recipe features a blend of 3 types of beans plus beef and sausage for flavor. End result will be a colorful crowd pleaser or a comfort food on a cold winter's day!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 lb ground beef (not too lean)
- 2 links Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce (use your favorite spaghetti sauce blend)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans (NOT DRAINED)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans (DRAINED AND RINSED)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white kidney beans (DRAINED AND RINSED)
- 2 teaspoons beef base (may substitute one cup of beef broth)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water (add if using beef base)
- In large stock pot, combine beef and sausage.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Brown meat mixture thoroughly.
- Add green pepper, carrots, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, chili powder, beef base and water.
- Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer, covered for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.