Prep 25 mins
Cook 48 hrs
A very simple recipe made with the goodies you already have on hand--nothing fancy but good wholesome food!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb beef stew meat, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (or venison, elk, or buffalo)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 button mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, 1/4 inch chunks
- 2 russet potatoes, 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 quart water (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat dutch oven with 1/2 of the olive oil.
- Mix flour& salt& pepper together and dust 1/2 the meat, placing in the hot oil.
- Brown on all sides and repeat with the rest of the meat, adding more olive oil if necessary.
- Remove the meat from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Add the onion and celery to the pan and add a pinch of salt.
- Use the juices from the onion and celery to deglaze the pan, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom.
- When the onions & celery start to get soft, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt.
- Sauté until the mushrooms start to "collapse".
- Add the carrots, potatoes, bay leaf, steak seasoning, kitchen bouquet, and bullion cube.
- Pour the water over and cover, simmering at least 1 hr and 2-3 hours if possible.
- If you need thickener, add the flour to the cold water and beat with a fork, strain into your boiling stew and continue to stir until it comes back to a boil, set to simmer and cover again for 15 minutes, check for seasoning.
Wonderful and easy. Perfect for a cold evening's supper.