Recipe by Boo's Mom
I've gone to Carrabas many times just for this soup. A lady from my supper club happened to bring this in for our soup theme and it tasted exactly like Carrabas! I've substituted Italian turkey many times and you would never notice the difference. You might also want to sprinkle some fresh basil and Parmesan cheese on top. Its good with a crusty piece of bread!
Top Review by jane49423
My husband keeps raving about this soup. I browned the sausage and all the veggies and then put them in the crock pot. I boiled the lentils (I used red lentils) in chicken broth for 30 minutes. I probably used 1.75 cups lentils and 4 cups broth. Then I put everything in the crock pot on low for about 5 hours. It was thick like stew. I used two pints of my homemade canned tomatoes. 1tsp of all the spices except 1/2 of thyme because it's not my favorite. Served with a dollop of sour cream and extra hot pepper flakes for a few of us.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (You can also use Italian turkey sausage)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dry lentils
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage; drain off fat.
- In a large pot combine all ingredients bring to boil.
- Reduce heat,cover.
- Simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Add water if necessary, for desired consistency. I like to puree about 1 cup of the soup and add back to pot to give it a thicker consistency.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.