Recipe by lazyme
I found this copycat recipe on recipe secrets and am saving it here to try later. It sounds totally decadent. The prep time does not include time to whip the cream and I just guessed at the number of servings. Zaar will not let me put the box size in the ingredients so it's a 1-pound 5.2-ounce size.
Top Review by DC Angel
I hope you've had the chance to make this, Lazyme, because it's wonderful! I used Ghiradelli brownie mix (and threw in about a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips), then used Sandra Silver's "chocolate mousse" (you can find here), and topped it with "Jeni's chocolate ganache" (also available here). I could've gone all out and made whipped cream while I was at it, but laziness struck so I used the Cool Whip and it was still better than Carrabba's.
- fudge brownie mix (Duncan Hines)
- 2 eggs (for the brownie mix)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (for the brownie mix)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (for the brownie mix)
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 2 cups prepared chocolate mousse mix
- 2 cups real whipped cream
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare brownie mix according to box instructions, using the two egg-recipe and substituting milk for the water.
- Line two 9-inch square baking pans with either parchment paper or wax paper. Spray bottoms with non-stick cooking spray. Pour equal amounts of batter into each pan.
- Bake - either in a convection oven at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes, or in a standard oven for about 24-26 minutes. (The convection oven is preferred - it makes a chewier brownie). Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the middle of the brownie comes out clean.
- IMPORTANT: Do not overbake!
- Allow to cool completely.
- Set one brownie pan aside; invert other pan and remove brownie in one piece; return to pan upside down; remove parchment paper.
- Brush the brownie evenly with ½ of the Kahlua; then top with ½ of the mousse, spreading it evenly over the brownie. Spread ½ of the whipped cream over the mousse.
- Remove second brownie from pan; brush with remaining Kahlua; place it on top of other brownie; spread remaining mousse evenly over the top; spread remaining whipped cream over the mousse.
- Sprinkle top evenly with chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.