Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An inexpensive alternative to the store-bought variety. To check for color-fastness: test a bit of cleaner on an inconspicuous area of the carpet before using the first time.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon-scented ammonia
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons ivory Joy dishwashing soap or 3 teaspoons any clear Joy dishwashing soap (non-moisturizer)
- hot water
- Stir together the first 3 ingredients into a large (gallon-plus sized) container.
- Add water; enough to equal one gallon.
- Follow steam-cleaner manufacturer's directions for operating instructions.
Wow! This cleans BETTER than store bought cleaners, and just leaves a fresh, clean scent. The only modification I made was to make this "extra strength" because our shampooer mixes the solution with water in the machine. Thanks for posting! A great money saver!
I never buy carpet cleaner anymore. It works wonderful.
This formula works well for me. I have a Hoover steam vac and I have white carpet with two dogs and four cats. This cleans even the toughest stains. I add the hot water to the receptable first, then I add the cleaning solution so that it doesn't bubble up and over the top. Also, I actually boil the water for the solution.