Recipe by Derf
An excellent way to serve carrots. Very fresh taste ! Originally from "French Cooking - Eileen Reece".
Top Review by beckyjacobs54
I used the pkgs. of prepared carrots and had along with a French inspired recipe for steak and potatoes. These went great with the rest of the meal. I loved the simplicity of the recipe, especially since the taste was so darn good! Thanks Derf!
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 firm-hearted lettuce
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 bunches carrots
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Choose green onions with large bulbs, remove the roots and cut off all green parts, leaving the bulbs whole.
- When chopped very finely the green stems can be used in place of the chives.
- Refresh the lettuce, take off all edible outer leaves and cut the heart into quarters.
- Butter a heavy pan thickly with 1 oz of butter and line with the large lettuce leaves.
- Add the heart, onions and salt.
- Peel the carrots, leaving them whole and place in one layer over the vegetables in the pan.
- Season lightly, sprinkle with sugar, add the rest of the butter cut into small pieces, and 3 tablespoons cold water.
- Cover closely and place the pan over a low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- As soon as the contents start to sing, reduce the heat to very low, shake the pan but do not uncover and cook for 20 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- By this time the carrots should be tender but still faintly crisp.
- Replace the lid and cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes if necessary.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a heated serving dish, scatter with chopped parsley and chives.
- Serve immediately.