Recipe by Baby Kato
This rice is the best. It has the greatest flavour. We just love it. I hope that you will enjoy it also. It makes a wonderful side dish. I usually use either jasmine or long grain rice for this dish.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
You are right, this rice is the best! I absolutely loved all that coconut flavor, from the coconut milk (I used the lite version) and toasted coconut...yum! I also really loved the heat from the chili pepper and chili paste. The flavors combine beautiuflly with jasmine rice. Don't skip the cilantro topping, it works sooooo well with this rice. Note: Next time, I need to leave my lemongrass in bigger pieces, I chopped mine too small and couldn't extract them before serving. Thanks for a delicious side dish! Made for ZWT7 for the Golden Gourmets.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced small
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned (mix well)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (chili paste with holy basil leaf)
- 1 small chili pepper, left whole
- 1 garlic clove, fresh, peeled and coarsley crushed
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, peeled, left whole
- 2 fresh lime leaves, or dried whole leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped or sliced thin
- 1 cup long grain rice or 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat peanut oil over medium heat.
- Saute onions for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, pineapple juice,.
- coconut milk and water; bring to a rapid boil.
- Add sea salt, pepper, chili paste, chili pepper, garlic, ginger, lime leaves, lemongrass and rice to boiling liquid.
- Stir well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Toast the coconut lightly and set aside.
- Finely chop the cilantro and set aside.
- When rice is completed, remove the chili pepper, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and lime leaves.
- Fluff the rice and before serving add the raisins, toasted coconut and finely chopped cilantro.