This rice is the best. It has the greatest flavour. We just love it. I hope that you will enjoy it also. It makes a wonderful side dish. I usually use either jasmine or long grain rice for this dish.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced small
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned (mix well)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (chili paste with holy basil leaf)
- 1 small chili pepper, left whole
- 1 garlic clove, fresh, peeled and coarsley crushed
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, peeled, left whole
- 2 fresh lime leaves, or dried whole leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped or sliced thin
- 1 cup long grain rice or 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- In a large pot, heat peanut oil over medium heat.
- Saute onions for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, pineapple juice,.
- coconut milk and water; bring to a rapid boil.
- Add sea salt, pepper, chili paste, chili pepper, garlic, ginger, lime leaves, lemongrass and rice to boiling liquid.
- Stir well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Toast the coconut lightly and set aside.
- Finely chop the cilantro and set aside.
- When rice is completed, remove the chili pepper, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and lime leaves.
- Fluff the rice and before serving add the raisins, toasted coconut and finely chopped cilantro.