Recipe by Carol V.
I'm a cheese-a-holic, so this is made a lot at my house and used in many recipes especially my chicken pot pie #273291
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 340.19 g beer (I prefer Sam Adams larger)
- 473.18 ml chicken broth (or canned 15 oz.)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 473.18 ml half-and-half cream (or 1 cup skim milk and)
- 236.59 ml cream
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 44.37 ml flour or 44.37 ml cornstarch
- 78.07 ml water
- 473.18 ml popped popcorn (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add carrot, onion, garlic and saute.
- untill tender.
- Add beer, chicken broth and worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil and cook.
- for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the half and half and the cheese to the soup, simmer uncovered until the cheese melts.
- Mix the flour (or cornstarch) and water together, add to the soup stirring constantly until the soup is thickened (a few minutes).
- Sounds a bit strange, but this is great topped with popped popcorn.
- Broccoli may be substituted for the carrot.