Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love three bean salad, but have never found a recipe I really liked until my friend Carol Bolduc gave this one to me. She makes it in the summer at Mrs. B.'s Deli in Lake George, NY and I fell in LOVE the first time I had it. It's really simple but, oh, so good!! This makes alot of dressing so I usually omit the chickpeas (personal pref.) and use two cans of wax beans.
- 14 ounces cut green beans
- 14 ounces cut wax beans
- 14 ounces dark red kidney beans
- 14 ounces chickpeas (optional)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine sugar, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Drain beans and mix together with onions in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing mixture over beans and stir well.
- Allow to marinate for at least two hours in the refrigerator to chill and to allow flavors to meld.
- The longer you let this sit, the better it gets!
This is an easy to prepare recipe, and is yummy! I used 2 cans of green beans, 1 can of wax beans, and 1 can of dark red kidney beans. I substituted apple cider vinegar because that is what I had on hand.
As Three or Four Bean salads go, this is terrific! I have tried a lot of them and have an extensive library of those that didn't work. This is the best I've found. If you are in a hurry, try "Newman's Own Balsamic Vinegarette" as a shortcut to the the dressing recipe. It is tasty and doesn't require any time. In any event, give this recipe a try!
A co-worker gave me her recipe and yours is almost exact so placing rating here for future use. Also added 1 green pepper and 2-3 stalks celery sliced thinly. Sugar was reduced to less than 1/2 cup, used white regular vinegar with a splash of red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp dill weed and 2 tsp chopped parsley. Her recipe called for 1/4 cup oil. I will definitely try your list of ingredients and we all enjoyed a bean salad.