Recipe by RuthlessWr
I got this recipe from the wife of a college professor who was a great cook. She'd make these for parties and serve them as appetizers, but I usually serve them over rice as a main course. It makes a lot of meatballs, but they usually disappear pretty quickly and if for some reason I have some left, they freeze well.
Top Review by lauralie41
Very good sweet and sour meatballs! I used Panko bread crumbs and celery seed instead of celery salt. Doubled the sauce since DH loves to dip and used apple cider vinegar. Loved making the meatballs in the oven and did make them the day before I needed them. The next day I added the meatballs so my slow cooker and whisked the sauce together to pour over the meatballs. Turned them on low and let warm through so everyone could help themselves later. Will be making these again! Made for my adopted baby RuthlessWr and Pick A Chef 2012.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 kg catsup
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix meatball ingredients well.
- Shape into walnut sized balls and place on foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. (This usually requires 3 cookie sheets worth).
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Put sauce ingredients into a large pot and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the meatballs and simmer at least 30 minutes to let the flavors mix.