Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe tops my list of comfort food. A crowd-pleaser, easy, and cheap! I cannot express to you how great these taste so you'll just have to try them yourself. My wife makes them (not often enough) and it's an old family recipe, passed down to her by her mother.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- 18 hamburger buns
- Mix all ingredients in a tall-sided, round casserole dish and bake at 300 degrees F., uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir at least 2 times during baking.
- Serve on hamburger buns with mustard.
Woohoooo! I wish I trusted the recipe more and didn't add extra katsup, but this was still fabulous! I had this in my "to try" recipe box for awhile because I usually don't have 3 hours for dinner, but in efforts to eat at home most nights I made this and my DH was thrilled bc of the content. I used 93% lean beef, the oatmeal and V8 all on whole wheat buns!! (Although my DH used it as a dip for tortilla chips after his 2nd sandwich). I am freezing the rest in individual containers for future meals/snacks. Thanks to you Boneman and your Mom's Mom.
These were delicious. I also served the mixture over white rice, it was gobbled up by all.