Recipe by Chef Zaarina
This is a delicious "concoction" that I accidentally stumbled upon while making fresh green beans this past summer. It has just about every thing in it for a complete meal. Just add biscuits, garlic toast, or whatever.
- 35 1⁄2 inches frozen meatballs
- 1 -2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 lb carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 head celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (48 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) canchunky crushed tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, petite
- 3 (15 ounce) cans potatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 bay leaves, whole
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 35 frozen meat balls, green beans, carrots, celery, onions in a 12 quart pot.
- Pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, chopped potatoes, bay leaves, all seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and then turn temperature to warm-low and cover tightly for about 6 to 8 hours.
- When veggies are done to your liking, add the canned beans (rinsed) and 1/2 cup barley to soak up some of the liquid.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until barley is tender.
- Serve with crusty garlic or other bread & butter, corn bread works really good too -- use your imagination.