Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
My dear friend, Carol M introduced me to this recipe, back when we were young, single, and wanted to cook easy hearty meals.... we had other "fish to fry" besides cooking! Good served with Brown Rice and green beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 lbs chicken (about 6 pieces, breasts, thighs, your choice)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup celery (diced)
- 3 carrots (cut into large bite sized pieces)
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (sliced in rings) (optional)
- 1 quart tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon basil (dried, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried, crushed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste, freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Sauté chicken in olive oil and butter in sauce pan until golden.
- Place in baking dish.
- Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion, and peppers to pan and sauté those until golden, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add spices and stir.
- Pour over chicken in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes.