Recipe by aunty carol
This makes the best pavlova, light, soft, chewy centre and is great with tinned peaches or fresh strawberries. This recipe has been passed on many times.
- 5 large egg whites
- 10 ounces caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon malt vinegar
- 10 fluid ounces double cream, lightly whipped
- 1 large sliced peaches in juice
- parchment paper, to cover baking tray
Directions See How It's Made
- pre-heat oven to Gas 2 or 150oc, if you have a fan oven reduce temp accordingly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, beat in 4oz of caster sugar, cornflour, vanilla extract and vinegar. Fold in the remaining sugar. Line a baking tray with baking parchment, I attach this with a little of the meringue. Spread the mixture in a oval shape, sides being rough and slightly dip in the centre to fill with cream and fruit.
- Bake for 1 hour towards bottom of the oven, then turn oven off and leave pavlova in there of 30 minutes.
- Fill Pavlova with lightly whipped cream and fruit when cold.