1/2 Photos of Carolina Style Pulled Pork Sandwich
12 hrs 30 mins
I like to call this "The Worlds Greatest Sandwich". Cooked overnight in a crock pot, the meat is tender, juicy, and messy..the way a BBQ sandwich should be. Top it with your favorite cole slaw, and you have one tasty meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -6 lbs boneless pork butt
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (Spice it up a bit with 1/2 tspn)
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 20 buns
- 1 lb Coleslaw
- 1The Meat --.
- 2Place the quartered onions in a crock pot.
- 3Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper: rub over the roast.
- 4Place the roast over the onions in the crock pot.
- 5Combine the vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt and cayenne; stir to mix well.
- 6Drizzle about 1/2 of the vinegar mixture over the roast and cover. Refrigerate the remaining vinegar mixture.
- 7Cook on low up to 18 hours, but at least 12 hours. Drizzle the other half of the vinegar mixture over the roast during the last 1/2 hour of cooking.
- 8While the meat is cooking, prepare the barbecue sauce. Mix all ingredients except soy sauce, butter and smoke. Simmer, uncovered, on low heat for 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 10 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 9Remove the meat from the crock pot and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes. (Very important step -- longer is better).
- 10Remove the onions and chop to a fine consistency.
- 11Pull apart the meat with a couple of forks. Meat should have a shredded look to it.
- 12Mix chopped onions and shredded pork along with a little bit of juice from the crock pot to taste. Add sufficient barbecue sauce to the mixture to achieve desired taste. Meat should have distinctive barbecue flavor.
- 13To serve, spread barbecue sauce on bottom of a hearty bun.
- 14Put layer of pulled pork on bun. Spread barbecue sauce over meat.
- 15Add layer of your favorite cole slaw on top of meat. Layer some more barbecue sauce over cole slaw.
- 16Spread top of bun with more sauce.
- 17Grab a fist full of napkins, and enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carolina Style Pulled Pork Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.1
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 762.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: