Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A tasty and simple slow-cooker recipe from Redbook magazine.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar (for chicken)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whole grain mustard (for chicken)
- 4 1⁄2-5 lbs whole chickens, skin and wing tips removed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (for dressing)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard (for dressing)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Stir onion, vinegar, garlic, and brown sugar together in 6 quart slow-cooker. Spread whole grain mustard over all chicken pieces. Place chicken, breast-side down, in slow-cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove chicken from slow-cooker and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour braising liquid through sieve. Transfer onion solids and 1/2 cup of the liquid to a large bowl. Add dressing ingredients (vinegar, yellow mustard, parsley, salt and pepper) to the onion mixture and whisk together.
- Shred chicken in large pieces and toss with dressing.
- Serve on toasted buns with coleslaw.
I used coarse ground mustard and I didn't have parsley. It was really really good!
Love this, a creamy coleslaw on top of the pulled chicken sandwich is the perfect complement.