Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Hopping John-plenty hot-is plenty good. Traditional to serve on New Year's Day for good luck in the coming year. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking not included in preparation time.
- 2 cups dried cow peas or 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak peas overnight.
- Cook with salt pork until peas are tender, being careful to keep them whole.
- When done, there should only be a small quantity of liquid left in the pot.
- Add cooked rice, season with salt, pepper and butter; cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with bread and butter.