Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Paula Deen. This is one of the best rice pudding recipes I've ever had. It tastes great warm or cold, although I prefer mine warm.
- 1 cup short-grain white rice (Carolina Gold is recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 pinch nutmeg
For Fruit Sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup stewed fruit (I used mashed up canned fruit cocktail)
- Put the rice in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Add the salt and 3 cups of boiling water.
- Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the condensed milk, butter, and raisins.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over simmering water until the pudding thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg.
- Spoon the pudding into individual custard cups and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Invert puddings onto chilled plates and serve with fruit sauce.
- For the fruit sauce:.
- Combine the orange juice, sugar, and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook the mixture over simmering water until it thickens.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, butter, rum extract, and stewed fruit.
- Serve warm over rice pudding.
As far as rice puddings go, this is very very good. Made with sweetened condensed milk it has lovely, intense flavor and texture.