Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Down home, southern cornbread stuffing that will make you want Thanksgiving to be every Sunday! Every person that tries this at my dinner table asks for the recipe. I even have an aunt that visits from out of town who requests this be made even if dinner is cheeseburgers! Enjoy... it is so good
- 6 cups cornbread (cooked and crumbled or cubed)
- saltine crackers, 1 sleeve, crushed
- 2 cups bread, toasted and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 roll of pork sausage, sage
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1 -2 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- 2. In a pan, saute onions and celery in butter until translucent.
- 3. Add sausage to pan, cook until done.
- 4. In a large bowl mix cornbread, crushed saltine crackers, and bread cubes.
- 5. Pour onion and sausage mixture into bowl with bread mix.
- 6. In separate bowl, mix chicken broth and eggs together then add to bread mix.
- 7. Add can of soup, mix well.
- 8. Add poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- 9. Pour in to greased baking dish (mix should be pourable but not soupy).
- 10. Bake in oven for 45 mins to 1 hours.
Comfort food for southern palates! Next time I might skip the saltines, but otherwise the dish met expectations. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring 2011 Pick A Chef.