Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Wonderful. I believe this was originally from Southern Living.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- powdered sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Add flour; mix well.
- Stir in vanilla and pecans by hand.
- Pour into prepared pan (batter will be stiff).
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool; then dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut and serve.
This is so yummy and so easy. I did not dust with powdered sugar. It taste just like the chew cake that my husbands grandmother makes. Thanks for posting such a yummy easy recipe.
My friend gave me this recipe--she calls it "Carolina Chews" cut into little 1 1/2" squares. Everyone who tastes these just can't believe how good they are from my daughter's 24 year old boyfriend to my Sunday School class at church. My recipe has 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 Tbl. baking powder in place of the self rising flour. I'm pretty sure it is the same thing. Thank you for posting!!