Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A slightly sweet, mustard-based barbecue sauce popular in South Carolina for use when grilling or roasting chicken and pork. Recipe is for a mild version - with an optional Hot version. If you like really browned chicken, start basting early; otherwise, baste frequently after the first 30 minutes of grilling. For crockpot BBQ, add 1 cup of sauce the crockpot with boston butt, and cook until very tender. Chop pork, place in buns, and serve with extra sauce.(serving=1/4 cup)
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups prepared mustard
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular or 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon onion powder or 1⁄2 cup finely minced onion, sauteed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
OPTIONAL Add for HOT Version of Sauce
- 1⁄4-3⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 -3 teaspoons louisianna hot sauce (optional)
- In saucepan, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add mustard, tomato paste, and molasses.
- Slowly add vinegar, whisking till blended.
- Add water and whisk to blend.
- Heat over medium-low heat till hot; lower to simmer and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Cool, then pour into glass bottle or other non-reactive container.
- Refrigerate, if desired.
- Our favorite way to use this sauce (1) poured over chopped pork on buns or (2) to baste bone-in chicken when grilling.
- The sooner you baste, the more browned the chicken gets, and we like it browned and charred (not burned), so we baste early and frequently.
This is a really good sauce for bbq. I've used it too many times to count. I have subed some brown sugar for the white sugar when I didn't have molasses. My son loves this sauce. This makes a good bit of sauce, sometimes I put some in a separate container and make it hot! I injected some into a boston butt and have it cooking in the oven now. It smells soooo goood! Thanks!