A slightly sweet, mustard-based barbecue sauce popular in South Carolina for use when grilling or roasting chicken and pork. Recipe is for a mild version - with an optional Hot version. If you like really browned chicken, start basting early; otherwise, baste frequently after the first 30 minutes of grilling. For crockpot BBQ, add 1 cup of sauce the crockpot with boston butt, and cook until very tender. Chop pork, place in buns, and serve with extra sauce.(serving=1/4 cup)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups prepared mustard
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups Splenda granular or 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon onion powder or 1/2 cup finely minced onion, sauteed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
OPTIONAL Add for HOT Version of Sauce
- 1In saucepan, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- 2Add mustard, tomato paste, and molasses.
- 3Slowly add vinegar, whisking till blended.
- 4Add water and whisk to blend.
- 5Heat over medium-low heat till hot; lower to simmer and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- 6Cool, then pour into glass bottle or other non-reactive container.
- 7Refrigerate, if desired.
- 8Our favorite way to use this sauce (1) poured over chopped pork on buns or (2) to baste bone-in chicken when grilling.
- 9The sooner you baste, the more browned the chicken gets, and we like it browned and charred (not burned), so we baste early and frequently.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carolina BBQ Gold Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 40.4
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 499.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: