Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from my friend, Carolanne, who is from New Zealand. The idea was that for a Sunday Roast, in New Zealand, the family would have a roast leg of lamb. One of the meals prepared from leftovers was shepherds pie. As leftovers, you would include not just the meat, but also the mashed potatoes, the gravy, and vegetables, usually carrots and maybe peas, depending on the season. You can substitute ground beef for the lamb is you prefer. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs ground lamb (yes, you can use beef as a replacement)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Cook in a large pan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potato well and return to the pan over low heat, and stir to evaporate any excess water. Remove from the heat, add the butter and milk, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Season with salt and cracked pepper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and just beginning to colour. Add the ground lamb (mince), increase the heat and cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon as the meat cooks.
- Add the carrot to the pan and cook for a few minutes until just tender. Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the gravy thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the peas and transfer the mixture to a 2L ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the mashed potato onto the meat mixture and spread out evenly. Use a fork to swirl the surface. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the potato is golden.
We enjoyed this shepherd's pie for dinner today and DH liked peas were in the pie. I did use beef (ground round) instead of the lamb, beef stock, what I had on hand, instead of vegetable, added garlic to the onions, and DH sprinkled some shredded sharp cheddar over the top. Great comfort food! Made and Reviewed for ZWT8 - 2012 The Fearless Red Dragons.
DH and I love shepherd's pie. We made with ground lamb. Pie was very good and very rich. Made for ZWT8 for The Fearless.
My family of meat and wheat eaters enjoyed this shepard's pie. I added some garlic with the onion, salt and pepper and some chopped celery with the carrot. A good basic recipe. I doubled the recipe and made one large pie (for my parents) and then used 6 large ramekins for the remaining mixture. Photo also to be posted