Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The first baked oatmeal I ever had, this is very good, almost cake-like. Posted in response to a request for "to go" oatmeal breakfast bars; I've often grabbed a hunk of this in a napkin and headed out the door to work. Delicious and filling!
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use skim)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (I use unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° degrees for 30-35 minutes or until set.
- Serve with additional milk, if desired. (I eat is "as is.").
- NOTES: I like to add cinnamon both in batter and sprinkle some on top.
- I add raisins (nuked w/a little water til softened), apples, or any kind of fruit I happen to have on hand, as well as nuts, to mixture.
- Sometimes I use all brown sugar instead of white and brown.
These are really good. I used applesauce instead of vegetable oil, added raisins and apple chunks. Very delicious.
This was definately "cake-like" while it was in the pan, but the squares just fell apart when I tried to lift them out of the pan. I ended up eating it with a spoon and not like the bar I was looking for. Sorry.
oh, impera, this was so good! i subbed homemade chunky applesauce for the oil and used about 3/4 cup for extra apple-y goodness, plus i added some chopped walnuts and cinnamon. something tells me i'm not going to get nine servings out of this...