Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from the archives of Pioneer Lodge, a Seniors residence. This is a really good old-fashioned Chicken pot pie like Grandma used to make.
- 1 (5 lb) stewing chicken
- 3 carrots, large, cut in pieces
- 12 small onions
- 2 (8 ounce) cans whole mushrooms, drained
- salt & pepper
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 (15 ounce) cans peas, drained
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 pie crust (large enough to cover casserole dish, overhange of 1-inch all round)
- Cover chicken in a pot with water and bring to a boil, simmer until the chicken is tender about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken, remove skin from the chicken and de-bone.
- Save 4 cups broth, remove fat.
- Add carrots & onions to the 4 cups of broth and cook until veggies are tender, apprx 10 minutes, skim fat again.
- Remove veggies, set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add flour then gradually add the 4 cups broth stirring all the while.
- When it bubbles and has thickened, add salt & pepper.
- Pour 1/2 the sauce in a casserole dish.
- Add mushrooms and arrange the chicken, add veggies, parsley and peas.
- Pour in remaining sauce.
- Place crust over top, 1" overlap all round and press the crust against the sides of the casserole; vent the top.
- Bake 400f oven for 45 minutes.
I added 1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms to mine and decreased the peas to 2 c. frozen peas in place of the canned peas, and 1 lg. onion in place of the 12 small ones. Everyone loved it and wanted more!