Recipe by YummySmellsca
Adapted (and scaled down) from The Vegan Baker by Dunja Gulin, these sweet, glazed cake squares are caffeine free, vegan and whole grain - with the rich, fruity taste of carob in every bite.
- 50 g scant 1/3 cup carob chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup raw agave nectar or 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup carob powder
- 120 g scant cup oat flour
- 160 g scant 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 (1 g) packetspurevia stevia (or your favourite)
- 90 g carob powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon agar, powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon gelatin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9” square pan.
- Melt the carob chips with 1/2 cup of the soy milk, then mix in the remaining soy milk with the vinegar.
- Stir in honey, oil and flaxseed until well combined. Add vanilla and mix inches.
- Whisk in the carob powder, then the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt just until smooth.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until it tests done. Cool completely in the pan.
- When cake has cooled completely, make the glaze:.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a small dish, set aside.
- Bring the soy milk, corn syrup, stevia and carob to a simmer (with the agar powder if using) and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook 1 minute, until thickened, then remove from heat and (if using) whisk in the gelatin.
- Cool 1 minute, then pour over the cake in the pan and let cool completely.
- Store in the fridge.