1/1 Photo of Carob Snacking Cake
4 hrs 45 mins
Adapted (and scaled down) from The Vegan Baker by Dunja Gulin, these sweet, glazed cake squares are caffeine free, vegan and whole grain - with the rich, fruity taste of carob in every bite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g scant 1/3 cup carob chips
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup raw agave nectar or 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup carob powder
- 120 g scant cup oat flour
- 160 g scant 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 (1 g) packets purevia stevia (or your favourite)
- 90 g carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon agar, powder or 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9” square pan.
- 2Melt the carob chips with 1/2 cup of the soy milk, then mix in the remaining soy milk with the vinegar.
- 3Stir in honey, oil and flaxseed until well combined. Add vanilla and mix inches.
- 4Whisk in the carob powder, then the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt just until smooth.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes, until it tests done. Cool completely in the pan.
- 6When cake has cooled completely, make the glaze:.
- 7Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a small dish, set aside.
- 8Bring the soy milk, corn syrup, stevia and carob to a simmer (with the agar powder if using) and add the cornstarch mixture.
- 9Cook 1 minute, until thickened, then remove from heat and (if using) whisk in the gelatin.
- 10Cool 1 minute, then pour over the cake in the pan and let cool completely.
- 11Store in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carob Snacking Cake
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.6
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 140.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: