Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
Everyone loves these cookies. So good for you and easy to make.
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup amaranth flour or 1 cup oat flour
- 1⁄3 cup carob powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine honey, oil and water in a medium saucepan. Heat briefly to melt honey.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir well.
- Sift together flour, carob, cream of tartar and baking soda. Stir into liquid mixture. Add nuts.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of batter onto cookie sheets. Bake at 325F for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in paper bag. Use within a few days.
Really needed something more. I made these with a few subs (an oat/wheat flour blend, and maple syrup for the honey) and they were just... blah. Tried to dress them up by drizzling carob sauce on top and even then they were pretty bland. They dogs were happy for a nice "chocolate" treat though, so it wasn't a complete toss-out.
I'm always hesitant to try out a recipe that nobody has reviewed, but I'm glad I tried this one. I subbed brown rice syrup for the honey, and whole wheat flour for the amaranth/oat. Rolled in 1" balls and baked for 15 minutes. Next time, I'll reduce the cooking time as they cooled off pretty crunchy/crumbly.