Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another excellent dessert and so easy to make. My son is allergic to chocolate so I spend my life finding yummy carob recipes. This was a winner.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or white)
- 1⁄2 cup chatfield's carob powder
- 1 2⁄3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. IN a blender combine remaining ingredients or mix well by hand. When blended, the yield will be approximately 2 ½ cups. Add blended ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Prepare a square cake pan by buttering and then liberally dusting with carob powder to prevent sticking. Add batter. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
At the time of this review, the error noted in the previous review has been fixed, so the liquid/flour ratio is just fine. However, I still did not like these brownies. They were very cake-like and not really sweet enough to be called brownies. They would make an OK breakfast bread, but the banana flavor was so pronounced, you could almost leave out the carob. On the good side, though, these were nice and moist. If I made it again, I would add a lot less baking powder and more honey.
I had high hopes for this recipe, but it was a disaster. The proportion of wet to dry ingredients was just not right. There seemed to be waaaaay too much flour. I tripled the amount of water used and still ended up with a dry, pasty mess. I think she might have meant to type "2 cups of whole wheat flour" rather than "4 cups of whole wheat flour." That's just my best guess as to what went wrong.