- unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 (8 ounce) packages semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, do not use margarine
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with unsweetened cocoa; set aside.
- Melt chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Whisk together egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture, whisking until well blended.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Fold one-third beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Let stand in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing sides of pan.