Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
Winning recipe at the Gilroy Great Garlic Cook-Off 2013. Kohlrabi is a member of the turnip family and is sometimes referred to a "cabbage turnip". It has a sweet, mild flavor.
- 1⁄4 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 small head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium size kohlrabi, peeled and julienne
- 2 apples, peeled and julienne
- 1⁄4 small purple onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
Lemony Jalapeno Mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, grated (or very finely minced)
- 1 large jalapeno, finely diced and seeded
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut or 1 1⁄2 lbs cod
- oil (for frying)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 wooden craft sticks (popsicle sticks) or 12 wooden skewers (popsicle sticks)
- In a bowl, mix cabbages, kohlrabi, apples and purple onion.
- In a small jar with a tightfitting lid, combine the horseradish, garlic, mustard, oil, vinegar, honey, kosher salt and pepper. Shake well. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss. Set aside.
- Whisk the lemony jalapeno mayonnaise ingredients together. Set aside.
- Place fish on paper towels; gently press out all the moisture. Into a deep fryer or deep frying pan, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil until very hot.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, egg, ice water and 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer to a tall, skinny container, such as a quart Mason jar.
- Cut fish into a dozen 2-by-3-inch cubes. Push a skewer in the middle of each, stopping about an inch from the end. Dip into the batter in a swirling motion, covering fish and a bit of the stick. Very gently shake off excess batter before placing fish into the hot oil. Hold the stick just a moment to seal the batter so fish sticks won't stick together, then drop them in; cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Serve with Lemony Jalapeno Mayonnaise and Kohlrabi Apple Slaw.