Winning recipe at the Gilroy Great Garlic Cook-Off 2013. Kohlrabi is a member of the turnip family and is sometimes referred to a "cabbage turnip". It has a sweet, mild flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 small head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium size kohlrabi, peeled and julienne
- 2 apples, peeled and julienne
- 1/4 small purple onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
Lemony Jalapeno Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, grated (or very finely minced)
- 1 large jalapeno, finely diced and seeded
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1In a bowl, mix cabbages, kohlrabi, apples and purple onion.
- 2In a small jar with a tightfitting lid, combine the horseradish, garlic, mustard, oil, vinegar, honey, kosher salt and pepper. Shake well. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss. Set aside.
- 3Whisk the lemony jalapeno mayonnaise ingredients together. Set aside.
- 4Place fish on paper towels; gently press out all the moisture. Into a deep fryer or deep frying pan, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil until very hot.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, egg, ice water and 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer to a tall, skinny container, such as a quart Mason jar.
- 6Cut fish into a dozen 2-by-3-inch cubes. Push a skewer in the middle of each, stopping about an inch from the end. Dip into the batter in a swirling motion, covering fish and a bit of the stick. Very gently shake off excess batter before placing fish into the hot oil. Hold the stick just a moment to seal the batter so fish sticks won't stick together, then drop them in; cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Serve with Lemony Jalapeno Mayonnaise and Kohlrabi Apple Slaw.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnival Style Fish Sticks With Lemony Jalapeno Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.4
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 101.8 mg
- Sodium 1576.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: