southern chef in louisiana's Note:
Remember the funnel cakes the the vendor at the fair used to make? Well here is a recipe for them and you'll never have to wait for the fair again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fill a 8 to 10 inch fry pan with oil (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pan full of oil) and heat to frying temperature.
- 2Combine the ingredients in order given.
- 3Get a regular cooking funnel. Put your finger over the funnel spout; fill the funnel with the batter.
- 4Start letting the batter funnel out in a criss-cross until all batter in funnel is gone. Batter will come together and cook until golden brown in about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. remove and top with what you want (when cooking make sure you make the batter cover the whole bottom of the pan--just keep criss-crossing until all holes are filled in).
- 5Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 8 to 10 large cakes.
- 6Toppers for the cakes after cooking: Dust with powdered sugar or powdered sugar mixed with cinnamon. The carnival also uses canned pie filling such as apple or any flavor you want.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnival Funnel Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.4
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 147.1 mg
- Sodium 524.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 13.8 g