Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Gift basket idea: a bag of Carnival Funnel Cake Mix with instructions, a funnel, a shaker of powdered sugar, and breakfast plates all wrapped up with a pretty bow. Adapted from Gooseberry Patch Gifts for Giving
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients; transfer mixture to a plastic zip-top bag or air-tight glass jar.
- Include the following instructions: in a mixing bowl, beat 1 large egg and 1 cup milk; add in funnel cake mix and beat until smooth.
- In a frying pan, heat oil (1-inch depth) until 375 degrees.
- Pour batter, 1/2 cup at a time through a funnel into the hot oil with a circular motion to form a spiral.
- Fry until golden; turn to fry the other side.
- Remove funnel cake to drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm.
- Note: takes a little practice to get the hang of it.