Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Treat the kids to these delicious Caramel Apples. Be sure to treat yourself to one it will bring back memories of your young years at the carnival :) From Land-O-Lakes Cookbook
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 -14 tart apples, washed, dries
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- in 2 qt saucepan melt butter, add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt, cook over med heat stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a full boil 10 to 12 minutes.
- stir in sweetened condensed milk.
- continue cooking stirring occasionally until candy thermometer reaches 245*F or small amount of mixture forms a firm ball 20 to 25 minutes.
- remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- dip apples in caramel mixture, dip end of apples in chopped peanuts.
- place on greased waxed paper.
- refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
Excellent carmel for apples. Fast and easy to make. I let the carmel cool just a little before dipping and helped it to stay on the apples a little better without so much runoff. Makes excellent carmels also. Thanks, this is a keeper.