Recipe by Happy Hippie
This recipe is courtesy of the Hass Avocado Board. This sounds absolutely delicious; I can't wait to prepare it.
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into large cubes (remove as much fat as possible)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces chunky salsa
- 16 ounces pico de gallo
- 3 Hass avocadoes, seeded, peeled, diced (ripe)
- 8 sandwich buns, split lengthwise (Bollilo or French)
- sour cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine pork chunks, broth and salsa.
- Add enough water to completely cover meat. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 3 to 4 hours or until meat pulls apart easily.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove meat from liquid in pot (discard liquid) and place in a roasting pan.
- Break meat into small chunks.
- Roast meat for 15-20 minutes until brown and crispy.
- While meat is roasting, combine diced avocado with prepared pico de gallo.
- Spoon carnitas into sandwich rolls and top with avocado salsa and sour cream.
- Serving suggestion: Meat can be prepared in advance and transported warm to party.